Aeolian-Skinner Opus 1204

Aeolian-Skinner Opus 1204 was originally installed in the First Congregational Church, Kenosha, WI. A moderately sized instrument of two manuals and nineteen ranks, it is an excellent small-scale representation of the tonal aesthetic G. Donald Harrison had begun pioneering nearly two decades before. A well rounded instrument, the First Congregational Church invested in what was arguably the best American pipe organ available during the period. The original specification is provided below.

GREAT ORGAN
8′ Diapason 61
8′ Bourdon 61
8′ Flauto Dolce 61
8′ Flute Celeste (TC) 49
4′ Octave 61
Grave Mixture II 122
Tremolo
Chimes

SWELL ORGAN
8′ Chimney Flute 73
8′ Viole de Gambe 73
8′ Viole Celeste (TC) 61
4′ Gemshorn 73
Mixture III 183
8′ Trompette 73
8′ Oboe 73
Tremolo

PEDAL ORGAN
16′ Bourdon 32
16′ Gedeckt 12 SW
8′ Octave 32
8′ Flute 12
8′ Gedeckt SW
4′ Choralbass 32

Following the closure of the First Congregational Church, Aeolian-Skinner Opus 1204 was removed by a team from the Spencer Organ Company and the Case Organ Company of Verona, WI. The organ was purchased by the Bishop O’Connor Center in Madison, WI for use in their chapel. Removal of the instrument revealed some water damage to the swell division, as well as a third party replacement for the original pedal 16′ Bourdon chest. The instrument journeyed back to Boston, where it is currently in our shop undergoing restoration.

During the restoration process, it was decided that several augmentations and changes to the organ would be made. The most obvious of these was the need for an Aeolian-Skinner 16′ Bourdon chest. We provided a vintage Bourdon chest from Aeolian-Skinner Opus 983, as well as the pipes that went with it due to some of the 1204 Bourdon having been water damaged.

It was also deiced to expand the organ by preparing the console for the addition of an antiphonal division, as well as extending the 16′ Gedeckt to be available on the Swell Manual. This required the addition of 29 pipes, for which we have provided pipes made by Tommy Anderson. The antiphonal organ will be located at the front of the chapel, and will use the chest and pipes of Aeolian-Skinner Opus 983. Built in 1938, it is another instrument from earlier in the Harrison period, and will provide an excellent match for the rest of the organ. The augmented specification is provided below.

GREAT ORGAN
8′ Diapason 61
8′ Bourdon 61
8′ Flauto Dolce 61
8′ Flute Celeste (TC) 49
4′ Octave 61
Grave Mixture II 122
Tremolo
Chimes

SWELL ORGAN

16′ Gedeckt
8′ Chimney Flute 73
8′ Viole de Gambe 73
8′ Viole Celeste (TC) 61
4′ Gemshorn 73
Mixture III 183
8′ Trompette 73
8′ Oboe 73
Tremolo

ANTIPHONAL ORGAN (Prepared for)

8′ Diapason 73
8′ Flute 73
8′ Dulciana 73
8′ Unda Maris (TC) 61
4′ Principal 73
Chimes

PEDAL ORGAN
16′ Bourdon 32
16′ Gedeckt 12 SW
8′ Octave 32
8′ Flute 12
8′ Gedeckt SW
4′ Choralbass 32

Spencer Organ Company is extremely pleased to have been chosen to complete this collaborative restoration and rebuilding with the Case Organ Company. Installation is currently slated for late August. Check out our Facebook page for updates on the restoration process!